Temporomandibular Joint Disorder (TMD) affects millions of North Americans. It is characterized by a variety of symptoms that range from headaches to jaw pain, teeth grinding, and irritating clicking and grating noises when chewing or speaking. TMD can be dental in origin.
If you suffer from TMD, this muscle relaxation exercise might help you, along with other recommendations from your dentist or physician. Some people find that wrapping a hot towel on the face during the exercise helps to promote circulation and to relax the muscles, and some people find that it helps to visualize the affected muscles slowly relaxing.
1. Sit comfortably.
2. Hold your face and jaws in your hands.
3. Place your fingertips gently over your jaw joints.
4. Place your lips together, keeping your teeth apart.
5. Breath in deeply through your nose.
6. Exhale deeply through your nose.
7. Continue until you feel relaxed.
Joseph A. Whitehouse
3603 Jamison Way
Castro Valley, CA 94546